Mar 5, 2008

Work News

After a couple of reflective and not entirely happy posts, I thought I'd break the ice with some good news....I'm writing a book! Unfortunately it's not a book about Andrew and/or dealing with CDH. More unfortunately, it's likely that none of you will ever read it. If you do happen to read it, I love you (and I apologize).

Myself and four of my coworkers are writing the IBM WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliance Handbook. I know it's a mouthful, but the product I work with (DataPower) is an "SOA Appliance," purchased in 2005 by IBM and put into the WebSphere brand. Like I said, a mouthful. It will definitely be a technical book, tailored to users of the product that prefer a more conversational tone to their documentation.

It's never going to by a NY Times Bestseller, nor will it be much of a moneymaker for me personally. It will, however, add to my credibility in the industry and hopefully assist in the sales process. It will also be nice to be able to say that when it comes to DataPower, "I wrote the book."

On the negative side, it's going to be a ridiculous amount of work for very little up-front payoff. The tentative publication date is sometime in October, but our writing has to be done by June. That means I need to write a chapter or two every few weeks. Thus, any free time I have will likely be dedicated to writing. That said, I'm excited and can't wait for October.

No comments: