Jul 26, 2009

Comic-Con Recap

This weekend felt both long and short. I had two long days at Comic-Con, but the remainder of the weekend flew by. Though I did explore the floor of the exhibit hall for a while on Saturday, I spent most of my time in the rooms with the panels. I didn't really care to get autographs and I didn't plan on buying anything....I just wanted to hear some of my favorite actors talk about what they're working on. I've put up pictures from every panel (along with a bit more commentary) in this web album, but here were a few of my favorite discussions.

The entire cast of The Big Bang Theory was there, talking about random stuff like hitting on Inuits, cloning people, and playing Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock. As one of my favorite shows of the last few years, I was excited to see this group, and they didn't disappoint. PS- Jim Parsons (shown here on the right) deserves an Emmy.


TV Guide hosted a panel of stars from various sci-fi shows. Though it was mainly an excuse to show clips of each of their shows, how can you go wrong with Chuck, the guys from Big Bang Theory, Scott Wolf, Rebecca Romijn, and John Cho? Since I wasn't able to attend the Chuck panel the next morning, this was also my only chance to see Zachary Levi in person. He's a true geek that really enjoys his visits to Comic-Con and lets the audience know it.


I got to see some footage of Iron Man 2 (and hear the cast discuss the movie). As someone who thought Iron Man was better than The Dark Knight, is was pretty cool to see scenes from the sequel. Robert Downey Jr. is also incredibly charming and funny, and really makes a great impression. I hope that doesn't mean he's back on drugs.


My last day at Comic-Con ended with over an hour and a half of Kevin Smith taking questions from the audience and responding in his usual hilarious style. He's incredibly dirty, but he can take any question in any direction, including tangential stories that take several minutes to wrap up. He discussed Twilight, his new movie (with Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan), and much, much more. If you're interested in laughing for a while, here's some Youtube footage of the Q&A.



Aside from the ones I've mentioned here, I also saw panels for 24, Battlestar Galactica, Zombieland, 2012, Extract, Bones, Dollhouse, Solomon Kane, and a few others. For any Dollhouse fans, I'd recommend going out and picking up the Season 1 DVD, as we got to see the unaired thirteenth episode that's now available only on the DVD.

D spent Friday and Saturday in Orange County, and then we had a relaxing Sunday. D's weekly doctor's appointment is tomorrow, though I doubt we'll learn anything new....at this point, there are only so many ways to say "this is a big baby." Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was Robert Downey Jr. there in person!??!!? Did you actually lay eyes upon his gorgeous countenance!??!? Details, damnit!

Oh, and is that Harold (or Kumar, I get them mixed up) of Harold and Kumar fame I see?

Thanks!

Vinnie said...

great clips of Kevin Smith. so dirty and yet hilarious at the same time.