Jan 20, 2008

Work and Remembrance

It's been a little while since my last post...I spent the whole week in Boston and didn't have a lot of free time. I was there for some training (corporate HQ is right on the river in Cambridge) and got to see many of my peers that I had never met in person. Only a few of them know about Andrew (the ones from my region), and so it was a little awkward when people asked about my bracelet. I'm still wearing the green plastic hospital bracelet that we had to wear to get into the NICU. A few guys recognized it as a "just had a baby" tag and either asked about it or congratulated me. For the most part, I mumbled something vague and noncommittal and the situation went away without having to make anyone totally depressed.

I realize I could have fixed the situation by simply removing the bracelet, but I like the reminder it gives me and I'm not quite ready to take it off. D and I have ordered matching bracelets with jade beads (to add that green touch) in order to have a permanent remembrance. I haven't decided whether I'm going to swap the bracelets as soon as the new one arrives, or wait until the plastic one breaks/weakens/falls off on its own. I don't think the new one will have the same attachment to the hospital....as awful as the NICU experience was, it was the only place I got to see Andrew, so it was special.

All in all, the trip to Boston was very nice. Working remotely most of the time, I relish any chance I have to see my coworkers, both from this position and my previous job (prior to May). However, I was a little distracted on Tuesday, as the 15th of every month is a little more difficult than most days...Andrew would have been 7 months old.

No comments: