Feb 17, 2008

Civic Duty

I hope to be able to blog more this week, as I've been selected for jury duty on a trial that will last the next two weeks. I'm incredibly disappointed that I have to take the time off work, as it means I will have to miss at least three business trips (San Rafael, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City). That means someone else will have to cover for me....I leaned on my coworkers so much during the ordeal with Andrew that I feel terrible any time they have to do any additional work for me....they've been fantastic across the board.

Aside from being a bummer for work, this jury duty will be pretty nice from a personal perspective. I get to spend the next two weeks at home and do my civic duty in the process. It's going to be a complicated (and likely emotional) case, but I think its important to have jurors like me on trials that really matter.

Tomorrow is a court holiday so the trial won't start until Tuesday; as it is, I've already spent two days at the courthouse for jury selection and we still don't have a final jury. It's a pain to drive all the way to downtown and back in rush hour, plus the $15 stipend doesn't go a long way toward the $18 I have to spend on parking every day. I could take public transportation, but I think it would add significant time to my commute. I'll be working at home tomorrow (on my real job) to try to make up for the lost time during the trial. It's a school holiday for D, so she'll be working Tuesday and Thursday this week.

We just got back from spending D's birthday weekend with friends in a cabin near Julian. We just missed the nasty weather on Thursday, so there was snow on the ground but it wasn't particularly freezing. It was a very relaxing weekend of talking, playing games (Wii and trivia), reading, eating, etc. We spent some time in the actual town of Julian this morning, and picked up some bread (jalapeƱo cheddar) at a nice bakery on the way out of town. All in all a very nice trip. I didn't get any pictures, as I drove straight to Julian from the courthouse on Friday and didn't have my camera with me. I still owe you some pictures/video of Willow and the backyard, and I'll get to those this week.

No comments: