Jul 23, 2010

Mammoth Family Vacation

My family and I have been vacationing in Mammoth, both during the summer and winter, for as long as I can remember and I love going back there as often as I can. My dad loves to remind me that I spent an entire night crying when my parents took me there as a baby. From the warm Schat's bread to my brother's geeky poses on the top of the cornice to hunting for bears, I have some incredible memories in the gorgeous Sierra Nevadas. I was so excited to be able to spend a mini-vacation there with my baby girl, my wonderful husband, my parents, and Kate's favorite uncle who flew out from Chicago to join us.

Here are some pictures that capture our first family trip to Mammoth.


We took Kate on her first hike.
Next time I hope I can figure out a way to travel Kate-style.



I am not a huge fan of hiking, but the trail was nice, the weather was beautiful,
and the end point was the gorgeous Minaret Falls.



Family picture at Lake Mamie.



Grandpa and Grandma were so excited to introduce Kate to the resident ducks at our rental.



One of our favorite things to do in the summer is take the gondola up to the top of the mountain. In the winter, this gondola takes skiers up to the hardest runs on the hill. Kate really enjoyed the trip up the hill.



Even though I go to Mammoth in both the summer and the winter, this picture only occurs in the summer as you couldn't pay me to ski off the top of the mountain, aka the Cornice, where the double black diamond runs are called Climax, Hangman's Hollow, Huevos Grande, and Wipeout Chutes.



Mammoth had an amazing snowfall this year and people were skiing until the 4th of July. There was still snow on the top of the mountain when we got there a week later. We put a blanket down for Kate and tried to have her check out snow for the first time. She wasn't too interested in the white stuff. Hopefully, the dislike of the powder is just a baby thing and she will speed down the cornice with her Uncle Cary when she gets older.



Loving hanging out with grandma in the gondola.


AND FINALLY DRUM ROLL PLEASE............................


Uncle Cary and his geeky pose on the top of the cornice.

No comments: