Aug 23, 2007

Yesterday

Yesterday Andrew seemed a lot happier than in the few previous days. He was awake when I arrived, so I said hello, put my finger in his hand so he could hold on, and then had a seat. He drifted in and out of sleep, but he was quite calm throughout. He was kicking his legs quite a bit (think football, not fussy), and he was generally very cute. I sat there for more than two and a half hours and he held my hand the entire time. I had to get up and move around to let the nurse get near him a few times, but he kept a tight grip.

At 6:30pm, they kick everyone out of the NICU for the nurses' shift change. Someone from the front desk makes an announcement over the intercom that all parents/visitors have to leave. I stood up, pulled my finger out of Andrew's hand, and that's when he went nuts. He had been perfectly calm for almost three hours, but it was letting go of my finger that set him off. He started to cry, turned red, arched his back, and dropped his saturations. It wasn't a big deal, and he does the same thing pretty routinely...but it made me feel a little more comfortable that he was calm while I was there.

No comments: