Aug 19, 2009

Up and Down

Well, she couldn't be completely perfect. :)

I'll keep this short, because I need to get some sleep and the hospital wireless network is somewhat temperamental. Kate had a great day, with lots of visitors and some solid nap time. On the plus side, she had her first couple of successful feedings, and showed herself to be interested and capable. On the down side, she's currently looking for more milk than can be provided, so we're having to supplement a bit with formula. She also had a test for jaundice that came back less than perfect (8.0 is "too high" and she got an 8.1). To make sure she'll be ready to come home with us tomorrow afternoon, they decided to provide light therapy tonight, which involves an enclosed crib with a bright light. She doesn't seem to mind, and we'll see how she's doing in the morning. This is very common and nothing to worry about.....her pediatrician pronounced her "terribly healthy" this morning.

I've uploaded some more pictures to the photo site, so go there for a pictorial update. I've also got some great videos, but I'll wait until we're home before I post those. Here are a few:

She had some great periods of attentiveness, where she laid there and watched what was going on.


At other times, she got upset, but still only for a few seconds at a time. She's really mellow and quiet for the most part. I tried to get a picture every time she got upset, but I only got two shots....most of the time I couldn't get my camera out in time.


Here's when she was starting to look a little yellow.


And here's Kate's first tanning salon experience.



I have no idea what our schedule will be tomorrow, so be patient in case I can't post until late.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys, Kate is so beautiful. Don't worry about having to supplement even though it is not what you wanted to do. We had to also for the first couple of days and then everything started working like it should and formula hasn't been used since. Even getting the photo therepy she is still cute. Great work!
Love Jen

Deb/Jer said...

Of course she's perfect! Silly jaundice isn't HER fault! xoxo-Yia-Yia

IndianChicky said...

hey guys- kate is awesome- love the pic in the 'tanning booth'- you'll have her home soon- sooo excited for you guys- you'll be awesome parents like I know you are already! rachana :)