Sep 9, 2009

Big Baby

We went to a lactation consultant today for a potential solution to some discomfort D's been having.  She tracked down the problem and there's a pretty simple fix, so we're hoping that will save some pain.

While we were there, they weighed Kate to see how much she had been gaining over the last two weeks.  She weighed eight pounds, eight ounces exactly two weeks ago.  As of today, she weighs about ten pounds, two ounces (six ounces with clothes).  That means she's gained almost two ounces a day....we were shocked!  I'm not sure where she puts it, but I'm assuming she's also gotten longer....she definitely doesn't look 20% fatter.

On the way back home, we stopped by the NICU to show off our take-home baby.  Some of our favorite nurses, doctors, and respiratory therapists were there, so they all got to see Kate.  It was a one-way viewing, however, as Kate slept the entire time we were there.  It was nice to visit, and not as sad as I thought it would be.  I felt a little guilty as grieving parents walked by to visit their sick kids while we were enjoying ourselves in the entryway, but we did our time and I'm sure they'll all be better off two years from now.  I thought it was funny that the commentary from the NICU staff mostly revolved around how healthy she looked....a ten-pound three-week-old baby is pretty rare in a ward that cares for preemies and other sick kids.  When Kate explosively dirtied a diaper and we had to change her in the trunk in the parking lot, I was heartened by the fact that she screamed the whole time and never turned blue.

I haven't taken many pictures in the last couple of days, so a photo update might take a little while.  Until then, cross your fingers for a happy (and tired at night) baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awe!! No fair...I wish I could have been there to meet her! So happy for you!! I'm at Cincinnati Children's Hospital now and I think of you all often.

Much Love,
Amy Myhaver

Tina said...

Nathan is now over 11lbs and has become quite chunky. I can't believe how fast babies grow! Can't wait to meet Kate !