Nov 24, 2007

Awkward Moments

I stopped by the grocery store to get some lunch stuff today. As I was checking out, the register printed a coupon. Generally the cashier would put it together with my receipt and hand it to me on the way out (or throw it in a bag); instead, she handed it to me and said, "Can you use this?" I took it and looked at it.....infant formula. I have no idea why the Ralphs computer associated this with the lettuce, tomato, and bread that I was purchasing, but it was a bit of a shock.

I shook my head and said, "No." She followed up with salt in the wound. "No more babies?" Stunned again, I gave her another shake of the head. I realize the question was completely innocuous, and that she probably assumed my kid(s) had grown past the infant stage and wouldn't require formula; it was still surprising.

I'm sure these things will have less emotional impact after some more time has passed.

No comments: